All your Questions answered in one place
Why would I choose angel investing over more traditional forms of investing?
Angel investing offers the prospect of very high returns, an opportunity to be actively involved in the companies you invest in, and the probability of positively impacting entrepreneurs directly.
Entrepreneurship is the lifeblood of private enterprise and all western economies. Virtually 100% of all new jobs in the last 10 years have come from new company startups. This is true of developed countries and the US job data holds true for this. (Kauffman Foundation: Business Dynamics Briefing : Jobs Created from Business Startups in the United States.)
The importance of Angels in our economy (Canadian economy) is growing, investing 27 times more in startups than VC investors (NACO Academy Module 101).
Angel investing provides a variety of benefits that simply don’t exist through traditional investing. It does involve a higher level of risk that comes along with the potential of very high monetary returns and psychological returns. It is exciting!
What can I expect if I become a part of an Angel Group? How do they work?
Each group is different, so review their website information and membership package, attend as a guest to one or two meetings and engage in these meeting asking lots of questions of the presenters and the members. They meet monthly, quarterly or semi-annually and look for flexibility in providing capital (some groups pool capital and invest together) and performing due diligence (can you easily find out what other angels are interested in which startup and compare notes and share the due diligence?).
Most angel groups are essentially a “matching service” between investors and companies looking for investors. All have either a paid or unpaid chairman, president, or general manager who will meet with prospective members and explain everything. Feel free to contact them and hold a conversation or grab a coffee with them.
What is an angel investment group and what is it not?
An angel investment group is an organization whose typical main goal is to bring together great startup opportunities with great angel investors which will then help drive innovation into our economy creating wealth for the entrepreneurs, investors and the regional and perhaps national community. As mentioned above the angel investor very often will play more of a role in the companies they invest in other than providing capital or debt.
How the individual angel organizations are run and structured varies, some run monthly meetings with 3-4 startup presentations, others run twice a year with 12-18 presentations back to back. Many will have a deal screening process to ensure quality presentations from the startups and that they are ready to get in front of investors.
Angel investors groups are growing in numbers and importance as traditional bank and bank-like financing as well as venture capital firms invest when the startup has a more proven track record. Angels typically look at opportunities after the founders, friends and family have made investments and before banks and venture capital companys.
Angel investment groups are NOT government agencies, brokers of capital that earn fees like investment banking firms, consulting firms that get paid by the hour or for piece work or simply a social club where wealthy people get together to talk about business but do not engage.
Who are the Valhalla Angels members?
With over 100+ members spread across Kelowna, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Medicine Hat our membership consists of individuals with varying backgrounds:
*As of September 30, 2018
- Accredited, high-net-worth investors.
- Venture capitalists.
- Entrepreneurs with experience growing early-stage companies.
- Corporate/institutional partners.
- Private equity investors.
- Resource partners and sponsors.
Our members are dedicated to building Western Canadian industry through early stage angel investing. Valhalla Angels members are respected leaders of industry, whether from building their own companies or by participating in numerous community initiatives.
What are the benefits of becoming a member?
Commitment to our members is our highest priority at Valhalla Angels. Outlined below is our commitment to you:
- Quality deal flow: Most investment groups often carry out the earlystage investing process with very little attention to important formalities. In contrast, Valhalla Angels has formed a diligent process that screens companies before they present to our membership. This ensures you see only the best deals at our forum.
- Invest together: Options to directly make investments and/or participate in holding companies that share due diligence and pool resources.
- Networking opportunities: Valhalla Angels is a community of Canada’s top angel investors. We will provide you with networking opportunities amongst our membership and amongst other likeminded, high-net-worth angel investors across North America.
- Support: Our members understand the risks and rewards associated with earlystage funding and, when brought together during the monthly forums in the chapter cities and social activities, are able to strengthen ties of mutual interest, fellowship, and support.
- Direct access: Members can pitch their own deals or investee companies to the Valhalla Angels selection process.
- Exclusive access: Members see 30-45 high-quality, well-screened investment opportunities each year.
We are committed to providing you with a valuable experience in an honest, transparent, respectful, and mutually beneficial environment.Become A Member