New private capital organization emerges from angel network with $65M under management
(15 August 2017: Calgary, AB) Valhalla Private Capital – a full service corporate finance firm – will officially open its doors to investors and early stage entrepreneurs on August 15 in Edmonton and August 16 in Calgary.
Valhalla is a local success story with global reach. Founded in 2003 as a single city angel inves-tor group by 2014 Startup Canada Investor of the Year R. Stewart Thompson, building investor and startup ecosystems at home and abroad is hard-coded in Valhalla Private Equity’s DNA. Valhalla brings a team together that expands the Valhalla Angelss investor and entrepreneur facing enterprises together under one umbrella. At launch, Valhalla Private Capital has $12.5M CDN under management, but is on track to have that at $65m by November.
Valhalla Private Capital is the realization of a vision,” said Mr. Thompson, Chairman and CEO of Valhalla Private Capital. “For too long venture capital has been the domain of large institutional investors. I have a much more democratic view. Valhalla is all about inviting all people who care about their local business climate into the VC realm, giving them the tools and opportunities to participate successfully in both investing or building some great companies.”
Valhalla Private Capital will focus on a five-pillar business model:
- – Investor& Startup Programs – including the renowned BaseCamp offering, an exclusive investment seminar for startups where Mr. Thompson and other experienced investors provide insight from an investor’s perspective about how to understand how capital works.
- – Angel Investing – ongoing operation of the 100+ member, five-chapter Valhalla Angelss network that has invested $48 million plus in more than 170 deals since inception.
- – Family of Funds – The Old Kent Road fund and Valhalla Angelss Fund are targeting growth of $5 million a month and will have $65 million under active management by November 2017.
- – Global Reach – continued outreach, advocacy, training and investor and startup ecosystem building in emerging economies around the world through its highly successful and well respected international arm, The Seed Global.
- – M&A and Advisory Services – expanding on the foundations of Vario Ventures, a boutique mergers and acquisition firm focusing on entrepreneurs and specializing in identifying the right next step for small and medium companies and their investors
“We have very deliberately not used “equity” in our name as we believe investors and early stage entrepreneurs alike need tailored solutions and ownership is just one option, “said Valhalla executive Jan Lederman
“The angel world can sometimes feel like placing large Vegas-style bets” said Valhalla Angelss Presi-dent and Valhalla executive Kristina Milke,” but, at Valhalla, we believe a more sophisticated approach exists through our full suite of capital options coupled with education, training and ad-visory services.”
Valhalla Private Capital will host launch events for their new offices in Edmonton on August 15 and in Calgary on August 16. The investor and entrepreneur communities are invited to join the festivities and learn more. Visit www.valhallaprivatecap.com for details.
For more information contact:
BACKGROUND FOR MEDIA:
Members of the media are invited to attend either launch event. Please call the media line to register. We can also make Mr. Thompson available for one-on-one interviews.